Friday, July 20, 2012

re: defense of marriage

I just wanted to share something that has been on my heart lately.  It involves a very controversial subject and I'm hoping I can avoid the kind of negative comments and feedback that I have been seeing all over facebook and other places lately.  I have seen a lot of people choosing to "blacklist" certain businesses because of that businesses stand or support of highly controversial issues, i.e. gay marriage.  I for one don't see how that is going to make any difference in the grand scheme of things.  I mean I like Chikfila...they have great food.  I understand they have stood out against gay marriage, which I personally agree with.  But I'm not patronizing Chikfila because they believe what I believe...I'm patronizing them because they have good food!  And likewise with Target...sometimes there are things that I want to buy at Target and I'm not going to feel guilty about it or ban them because they choose to support gay marriage.  If I limited my shopping and other business relationships to only patronized those business that supported the same values and ideals that I do, I'm afraid that may be a very small list!  I may just go hungry or worse!  It's ludicrous of me to think that my standards are so high that only business who believe as I do have earned my patronage.  Yes I personally am against gay marriage.  Yes I personally believe homosexuality is a sin according to the Word of God.  But I do not hate gay people anymore than my friends and family don't hate me because I am prone to worry or because I tend to judge people (2 things the Bible also specifically says not to do).  "ALL have sinned and fall short of the Glory of God." (Rom. 3:23) All....myself included.  So do I hate the sin of homosexuality...yes.  Do I hate gay people...not at all!  I have known several loveable gay people!  But I do wholeheartedly support the concept of a traditional marriage between a man and a woman.

If' you are more interested in hearing about the defense of marriage, I invite you to listen to this past week's message by Pastor Larry Burgbacher  http://vimeo.com/45900045

1 comment:

Whip said...

wow something is in the air, i just blogged this last night.
http://scribbleinthesand.blogspot.com/2012/07/and-so-it-begins-again.html